A Friday Full of Surprises

Walking out the doors of Highlights, knowing I wouldn't be back for 12 long weeks, I felt surprisingly uneasy. I anticipated similar emotions to when I took off for my honeymoon or any other vacation, but this was not the case. Perhaps it's because deep down I knew I was leaving responsibilities I could handle, people I understood, and a routine that was familiar, and trading it all in for a more difficult job – a job I have not trained for – taking care of a little person I don't know or understand, under circumstances that will no way nearly resemble a routine.

The baby inside me looks like a mini-Jeremy. The tech administering the ultrasound at my diabetes check-up was so intrigued by the chubby cheeks she saw in the 2D ultrasound, she switched the machine over to 3D/4D mode to get a better look. And there s/he was...mini-J!

Our baby isn't a tiny monster, unless you consider 7lbs. 9oz. to be large, which I do not.

More protein in my urine. Technically this isn't a surprise to me, but it's concerning to my Doc as traces of protein have been lingering around since mid-December. This is a sign of Preeclampsia, and I'm at a higher risk for it due to the GD.

Protein in my urine warrants a trip to Labor & Delivery- this baby might be born today! AM I READY FOR THIS?!! In near panic I call Jeremy, asking him to finish packing my bags and to meet me at the hospital. (For the most part my bags were ready to go, with the exception of toiletries I use daily, so I figured he could handle it.) However, as I lie in the hospital bed waiting for Jeremy to arrive, I start thinking about everything he needed to bring that I forgot to mention- the Boppy, digital camera, video camera, pillow, clothes for him, etc. I could only hope for the best upon his arrival.

All my blood tests came back normal, the baby's heart rates were perfect, and although my blood pressures were askew, everything looked well enough to send me home. With the protein still being a major concern, I was given another pee-can to bring home and urinate in for the next 24 hours. On Sunday morning Jeremy and I will go back to L&D to deliver the pee-can and I will again go through more testing to see how myself and the baby are holding up. Looks like the baby could be born on Sunday instead of Wednesday!


I don't do well under Mom-to-Be stress. Once home, Jeremy started bringing in everything he packed for the hospital. Everything I forgot, he didn't! And, he even had the car seat...which didn't even cross my mind once. I might not be as ready for this Mom thing as I thought!


My husband is going to be an amazingly wonderful father. When I asked him how the hell he figured out what to pack on such short notice and under such unexpected circumstances, he calmly looked at me and said, "Babe, I was ready to be a Dad."

If that doesn't melt your heart and have all you ladies trying to steal my man, then you are all crazy! (NOT-A-SURPRISE #2- I am one lucky woman.)


Anonymous said...

Good luck on Weds!
I have been keeping up with you blog for awhile now...I am on BabyCenter.com on the March board-due March 1 and can't wait to see pictures when the little one arrives.
Best Wishes!

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL baby. God is so good! I just love you so much. I can't wait to hold HER!! :0)
Your in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

I live all the way in Washington State and have been reading your blog for the last few months. I stumbled upon it while doing a Google pregnancy search and have to say that this is one of the few blogs that I enjoy. It's help me laugh many times during my own pregnancy (I'm 25 weeks).

I can't believe that your big day is almost here. Good luck with everything and please let your fans know how it all goes!

JenRN said...

OMG you are so cute! I have been reading your blog week by week. I am 20 weeks right now. the way you write cracks me up. your last comment about jeremy made me cry (hyperemotional much!?) anyway, keep up the great writing! you think exactly as I do!